Calculating Your Future
Mathematics defines the order of the universe, and Taylor can help you define your future as a mathematician whether you are interested in education, government, business, ministry, web design, consulting, computer analysis, engineering, statistics, actuarial services, or any other math-related career. With a fully equipped math laboratory, computer lab, resource room, seminar room, and lounge at your disposal, the Euler Science Complex is an excellent environment for students to collaborate, study, and learn.
Our award-winning Mathematics faculty are the driving force behind our department. Not only will your professors challenge and guide you in the classroom, they will engage you in a dynamic community that expands beyond academics to enrich your spiritual and social development. They will encourage you to pursue your passions and participate in career-prep opportunities while challenging you to explore the connections between mathematics and the Christian faith.
Solving for “Why”
Beyond the academic, spiritual, and social growth you will experience as a Taylor Math major, there are numerous opportunities and resources available to you. Deepen social connections with fellow Math majors and gain professional experience on an international scale with our incredible opportunities:
- Math Competitions: Taylor Math majors consistently excel in local and national math competitions, such as the MATH Challenge, Indiana Collegiate Mathematics Competition (ICMC), and the William Lowell Putnam Competition.
- Math Conferences: Students participate in the annual Mathematics & Statistics Conference at Miami University (Ohio), IN-MAA conference, and MathFest. Several students also attend the Indiana Council of Teachers of Mathematics conference and national summer meeting of the Mathematical Association of America.
- Math Club: Taylor’s Math Club allows Mathematics majors to interact and create deep, spiritual relationships outside of the classroom. Math Club sponsors a variety of events, including department picnics, game nights, holiday parties, and meals.
- Faculty Mentored Undergraduate Scholarship Program: Partner with your campus, regional, and national award-winning professors for a summer of mathematical research that could be published in mathematics journals and presented at national conferences.
- Service Opportunities: Mathematics majors are in high-demand as tutors and teaching assistants. As an assistant, Math majors help physics, chemistry, engineering, and math professors by assisting with in-class group work, explaining complex equations and solutions, holding study sessions, grading papers, and giving lectures. They can also volunteer in local schools to help elementary, middle, and high school students learn and enjoy math.
- Summer Research and Work: During the summer, Math students have the opportunity to research at prestigious institutions around the country and internationally with Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) programs. Other universities include Hong Kong, NASA, West Virginia, Willamette Valley, San Diego State University, Northern Kentucky University, and more. Our students also work with MathPath, a summer program for middle schoolers who excel in mathematics.
- Study Abroad: Math majors are encouraged to explore mathematics opportunities abroad, such as studying in Oxford Best Semester for Mathematics and Statistics or Budapest Semesters in Mathematics. Math Education majors are able to perform their student teaching internationally in locations such as Spain, Taiwan, Australia, France, Cameroon, and Senegal.
Students interested in actuarial studies should note that The Society of Actuaries lists Taylor as an approved institution for introductory preparation.
Senior Stories: Math
Feb 11, 2020
Pursuing a Mathematics degree at Taylor exposes students to theory and application. Combined with the broad skills and perspectives developed through ...
Taylor University Wins MATH Challenge
Jan 16, 2020
The Taylor University Mathematics Department has won the annual Michigan Autumn Take-Home (MATH) Challenge. The contest, conducted late in the fall se...
Shooting for the Stars
Jun 17, 2019
Junior Hannah King never dreamed she’d have the chance to work at NASA, but after lots of hard work and dedication, she will be interning at the Langl...
Taylor Student Ellie Grace Moore Selected for Internship at NASA
Apr 06, 2018
Taylor sophomore mathematics major Ellie Grace Moore is participating in an internship at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. She was...